Popular Post

Sunday, October 24, 2010

How to Wear Cable Knit for Autumn



I did have plans to give you a lovely post on Funny Face costumes today, but I had a nightmare with saving the pictures. Plan B was to think about cosy snuggly things for autumn, and I made my first ever set on Polyvore - then that all went wrong too! Not a good technology day for me. Instead, here a few other cosy cable knits I've found around the place. The images above and below are from the September issue of Elle Belgium. The bodysuit is from D&G and the knitted skirt and jumper set is from Prada. They both look so warm and soft, and even though I know a cable knit body suit should be complete anathema to me, I can't help but love it.




Of course most of us can't splash out on Prada and D&G for our cold weather wear, so here are some high street and vintage pieces I have found to help with more affordable style inspiration in cable knits this autumn.


Zara has a great selection this season; I am particularly taken with this lovely 70s style a-line skirt:





Zara cable knit flared skirt in pale olive green £29.99


A mannish double-breasted cardi in deep grey:





Grey chunky cable knit double-breasted cardigan/jacket from Zara £59.99


And this fun little 60s style tunic dress (it would look best with a long sleeved tee and tights underneath):





Mustard cable knit mini dress from Zara £29.99


Dorothy Perkins also has some decent socks, cardigans, and sweater dresses, and their prices are always very reasonable.



Dorothy Perkins oatmeal cable knit bobble jumper £28


Topshop has a few trendier alternatives, such as this fantastic red corset:



Topshop cable knit corset top in burgundy £30
 

And these over the knee lace up socks:





Cable knit thigh high socks by Topshop Unique £25




Moving onto our vintage options, I'll naturally plug myself first with this little 50s bobble knit cream cardigan. The buttons are particularly quirky, having a faux wood effect:





1950s vintage bobble cardigan from Penny Dreadful Vintage $60


This little 70s poncho is by no means a cable knit. But I thought it was so much fun I had to share:





1970s vintage heart poncho in brown and yellow from Apricto Baby Baby $50


This ladylike cardigan has a very fine cable knit, great for layering





Vintage Shetland wool cable knit cardigan from Skinny and Bernie $36


And this is a chunkier 'fisherman' type version, good for blustery days and stomping around in leaves:



Chunky vintage aran cardigan from Borough Vintage $68


Finally, here is a handmade artisan option; a luscious looking chunky cable knit capelet in deep red:







Chunky red cable knit capelet $120