Popular Post

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hit and Miss of the Week: In Hollywood

There is a rather random lineup this week for the Hit & Miss. It wasn't a big week for premieres but there were a few events taking place in Hollywood which got an interesting turnout. The ELLE Women in Hollywood red carpet had the most A-listers: Gwyneth rocked a gorgeous orange dress, Anna Kendrick also made an impact in a bright shade, and Kate Hudson unfortunately slipped up with her hair and makeup. It's a shame, as her dress was gorgeous.

Over in New York Blake Lively was on the Gossip Girl set in a rather questionable outfit. Serena never looks bad on Gossip Girl, so I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this look - hopefully it comes to life on screen. And in London Freida Pinto was still on a fashion high, looking stunning in a Alexander McQueen frock.



Gwyneth Paltrow: Hit





Photo by: Quasar/starmaxinc.com 2010  10/18/10 Gwyneth Paltrow at Elle Magazine''s 17th Annual Women In Hollywood Gala. (Beverly Hills, CA) Photo via Newscom


It’s been a few months since Gwyneth Paltrow has had a serious red carpet moment, so I was relieved to see her back where she belongs, at the ELLE Women in Hollywood Gala this week. Gwyneth went for a chic Calvin Klein dress in a simple shape and let the bright colour do the talking. I’ve always quite liked orange, but it’s a tricky colour to pull off. With her chic strappy sandals and subtle clutch Gwyneth lets the colour be the focus, though, and doesn’t overpower the dress it with flashy accessories. Smart move.



Emma Roberts: Hit



Oct. 16, 2010 - Los Angeles, California, USA - Oct 16, 2010 - Los Angeles, California, USA - Actress EMMA ROBERTS at the 2010 Scream Awards held at the Greek Theater, Hollywood. © Red Carpet Pictures


Emma Roberts had a busy week, attending both the Scream Awards and the ELLE Women in Hollywood event. She looked fabulous on both red carpets but it was the Emilio Pucci black lace dress that she wore to the Scream awards that really caught my eye. A LBD can be boring and predictable if worn in the wrong way, but I think Emma wears this look perfectly. Normally I dislike dresses with just one sleeve, but I think the lace number on this design makes the dress so special.



Kate Hudson: So-So



Photo by: Quasar/starmaxinc.com 2010  10/18/10 Kate Hudson at Elle Magazine''s 17th Annual Women In Hollywood Gala. (Beverly Hills, CA) Photo via Newscom


You all know that I’m a massive fan of Kate Hudson; she has always been one of my favourite celebrities and I’m sure it will remain that way. However, I’ve found that this year I haven’t been overly impressed with her style, which is strange. I loved the Prabal Gurung dress that she wore to the Women in Hollywood event this week, but felt the outfit was let down by her messy up-do and casual makeup. Kate, like Cameron Diaz, always keeps it natural on the red carpet, which is why I love her so much, but in this instance I think she went a step too far.

Anna Kendrick: Hit





ELLE and Express 25 at 25 Event held at The Palihouse in West Hollywood, California on October 7th, 2010. Anna Kendrick                                              Fame Pictures, Inc


For a while now I’ve been hoping that Anna Kendrick will pull out a fabulous look, and she did so for the ELLE event. I thought Anna was amazing in Up in the Air but her style failed to wow me over awards season this year. For the red carpet this week she chose a bright asymmetric dress which kept her image young and fun. The nude heels helped to elongate her legs and the hair and makeup hit the perfect note - being glam but effortless at the same time. I hope we see more of this Anna!



Blake Lively: Miss



46392, NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Wednesday October 20, 2010. Blake Lively dons a school uniform while shooting scenes for an upcoming episode of Gossip Girl along the Hudson River. The CW series was filming along the Hudson River in Piermont, New York. Photograph:  PacificCoastNews.com


I’m into Gossip Girl again; despite the fact that the storylines this season are ridiculous and not one character appears to have a working brain cell. But on a Wednesday evening I don’t have the energy for anything else, so Gossip Girl takes over. This week Blake was snapped filming a scene for the show in NYC. Normally I adore Serena’s wardrobe (she definitely gets the best pieces) but this look is far too ‘Avril Lavigne at high school’ for me. Hate the tie, hate the massive badge on her blazer and really hate those thick grey tights with high-waisted plaid shorts. I’m happy to let this look slide though, as in every other GG scene Blake looks phenomenal.



Freida Pinto: Hit



Photo by: DP/AAD/starmaxinc.com  2010  10/18/10 Freida Pinto at the premiere of Miral during the London Film Festival. (London, England)  Photo via Newscom


Freida Pinto made a return to the blog last week in a fabulous Stella McCartney dress, and she remained on top form this week. For a premiere at the London Film Festival, this week, Freida wore this beautiful black McQueen dress. I adore the cut-out detail on the sleeves and think the gold embellishment is beautiful. She could have gone for a sexier shoe, but overall I think Freida looked drop dead gorgeous.



What do you make of the week’s looks?